In case you’re nuts about walnuts, then why not have a go at these recipes from the Nineteen Thirties?
Walnuts are generally utilized in baking so as to add a bit of additional crunch, flavour and vitamin.
Aunt Kate, who wrote recipes and family suggestions for the Individuals’s Pal and the Individuals’s Journal from the Eighteen Eighties to the Sixties, had many walnut recipes in her 1933 Baking E-book, three of which we’ve featured under.
For extra inspiration and to see extra of Aunt Kate’s bakes, check out the collection up to now right here.
Walnut fruit cake
- 4 teacupfuls (approx 450g) flour
- ¾ cupful currants
- 1 oz butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- Just a few half walnuts
- 1 teacupful (approx 113g) chopped walnuts
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- Just a few preserved cherries
- Rub the butter into the flour. Add the sugar, salt, baking powder, currants and nuts and blend properly.
- Beat the eggs and add with sufficient milk to make a stiff dough.
- Combine and beat the combination properly, then pour it right into a ready cake tin and bake in a average oven (approx 190ºC).
- When the cake is chilly, trim it neatly and canopy it with icing.
- embellish the highest with walnuts and preserved cherries, urgent these into the icing whereas it’s nonetheless comfortable.
- Set the cake apart till the icing hardens earlier than chopping it.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cups walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- Cream the butter and sugar collectively. Then add the overwhelmed eggs, milk, flour sifted with baking powder, orange juice and nuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes in a loaf tin in a average oven (approx 190ºC).
- ½ gill (approx 70ml) cream
- 2 oz icing sugar
- 2 oz chopped walnuts
- 6 drops of ratafia essence or almond extract
- Beat the cream till stiff, then combine it in with the sugar, the chopped walnuts and the ratafia essence or almond extract.
- Chopped almonds can be utilized in addition to the walnuts, if desired.
Extra on this collection…
Aunt Kate’s Kitchen: Three fruit pudding recipes you wouldn’t know had been from greater than 100 years in the past
Aunt Kate’s Kitchen: Have a go at making raisin loaf from the Nineteen Thirties with these recipes