Why not get caught into these almond rock buns and mini almond cheesecakes from our baking legend Aunt Kate?
Almonds have at all times been a well-liked ingredient in baking and Aunt Kate is actually no stranger to utilizing them in recipes included in her 1933 Baking Guide.
Aunt Kate, who wrote recipes and family ideas for the Individuals’s Good friend and Individuals’s Journal between 1880 and 1960, was a professional when it got here to creating muffins and different bakes.
These recipes from her ebook within the early Nineteen Thirties don’t include oven temperatures so we’ve made a tough estimate although it might fluctuate relying in your oven.
We’ve already featured some almond recipes from Aunt Kate beforehand. In case you missed them, catch them once more right here.
For extra inspiration and to have a go at another recipes from the Nineteen Thirties, check out the remainder of the collection right here.
Almond rock muffins
- ½ (approx 225g) lb flour
- 2 oz (approx 56g) sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 oz (approx 56g) butter
- 2 oz (approx 56g) candy almonds
- 3 drops almond essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Blanch and chop the almonds finely and put them to dry, however not brown, on a tin within the oven.
- Sieve the flour, sugar and baking powder right into a bowl and rub within the butter till free from lumps.
- Add the ready almonds and make a effectively within the centre of the dry components.
- Add the overwhelmed egg and flavouring and sufficient milk to bind all collectively.
- Organize the combination in small heaps on a greased tin and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a fast oven (approx 205C) till brown and agency, about quarter-hour.
Almond Cheese Desserts
- Shortcrust pastry
- 1 tbsp thick cream
- ¼ lb (approx 115g) caster sugar
- 1 lemon rind
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ lb (approx 115g) floor almonds
- ¼ oz (approx 7g) butter
- 3 drops almond essence
- Line some greased patty tins with shortcrust pastry.
- Combine the almonds in a bowl with the sugar, grated lemon rind and melted butter.
- Step by step stir within the cream and almond essence.
- Fold within the stiffly-frothed egg whites.
- Three-quarters fill the lined patty tins with the combination and bake in a reasonable oven (approx 190C) till browned.
Extra on this collection…
Aunt Kate’s Kitchen: Have fun your birthday in fashion with two recipes from the Nineteen Thirties
Aunt Kate’s Kitchen: Biscuit recipes from the 1910s you may nonetheless make as we speak