We prepare dinner for our youngsters, our family and friends — however what about our beloved pups? Many canine treats available on the market are the animal equal of giving your canine a bag of cheese puffs: they’re junk meals, plain and easy. I attempt to hold my canines as wholesome as attainable, however once they search for at me with these lovable hopeful eyes…
Right here’s the rub: these 2-inch biscuits could seem like nothing, however are form of the equal of a human consuming two chocolate chip cookies. Multiply that one biscuit by the variety of treats you give every day, and your pup could also be getting an entire lot of empty energy.
I make our canine biscuits with healthful and healthful substances. I nonetheless watch how usually I deal with them, however I really feel higher realizing they don’t seem to be consuming junk meals. Whereas improved well being is an efficient sufficient cause to make your individual canine treats, they’re additionally enjoyable to bake. I’ve canine bone-shaped cutters in a number of sizes, however you may as well use a small spherical customary cookie cutter. Both means, I get the identical kick out of creating biscuits my canines love as I do from cooking a meal or baking for folks I care about. It’s all about nurturing and nourishing — and tail wags.
Pumpkin Pie Pup Treats
2 ½ cups complete wheat flour
¼ cup toasted wheat germ
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup pumpkin purée
1/3 cup pure (unsweetened) peanut butter
2 massive eggs, divided
½ cup water
1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 levels. Line two massive baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix the flour, wheat germ and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk the pumpkin, peanut butter, one egg, water and oil in a second bowl. Pour the moist substances into the dry and stir till a tough dough varieties. Knead the dough within the bowl till it comes collectively. (It will likely be barely moist).
3. Flip the dough out onto a frivolously floured floor and roll it into ¼-inch thickness. Reduce out the treats; press the remaining scraps collectively, roll to ¼-inch and minimize out extra treats.
4. Place the treats on the sheet pan. Evenly beat the remaining egg and brush it over the floor of the treats.
5. Bake till frivolously browned and pretty laborious, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool utterly on the trays: the treats will proceed to harden as they cool. Retailer in an hermetic container.
Makes about 2 dozen treats.