ay has arrived, and, whereas it might not fairly really feel prefer it but, summer season is on its means and elderflower is coming into season. We’re fortunate within the UK to have an excessive amount of elderflower so simply at our finger suggestions, and because the climate hopefully improves it’s also a wonderful place to begin foraging.
However whereas the season could also be upon us, the query is, what makes use of are there for the tasty flower? Nice British Bake Off winner, Peter Sawkins has now joined forces with bottlegreen and offered the Impartial with two baking recipes so that you can strive at residence, displaying there’s much more to this plant than a scrumptious drink.
Beneath we have now a lemon and elderflower scones recipe, with the fragile stability of flavours operating by means of all parts from the scone itself, by means of to the curd and cream. And for many who are internet hosting events and barbecues this spring, Peter has additionally tapped into the development of drinkable desserts together with his trendy twist on a traditional, making a lemon and elderflower meringue pie float.
These recipes are a good way to understand the season and prepare for summer season.
Elderflower scones with elderflower and lemon curd
200g self-raising flour (change for gluten-free self-raising flour plus ½ tsp xanthan gum)
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder (guarantee gluten-free if making gf)
½ tsp Salt
1 massive egg
4 tbsp bottlegreen elderflower cordial
2 tbsp milk
Zest of 1 lemon (from curd)
1 further egg yolk (for egg wash)
Elderflower and Lemon Curd:
4 tbsp lemon juice (about 2 massive lemons)
2 tbsp bottlegreen elderflower cordial
Zest of 1 lemon
80g caster sugar
4 massive egg yolks
70g unsalted butter, cubed
100ml double cream
10g icing sugar
1 tbsp elderflower Cordial
Preheat the oven to 200ºC fan.
Make the scones:
1. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Rub the butter in utilizing your fingertips till the combination resembles fantastic breadcrumbs.
2. Whisk the cordial and milk with the egg. Add this to the dry components together with the lemon zest and reduce by means of with a desk knife. As soon as it begins to clump collectively, get your palms in and gently work it collectively right into a mushy ball of dough.
3. Generously flour your work floor and switch the dough out onto it. Use a rolling pin or your palms to flatten the dough out to the peak of three – 3.5cm. Use a 6cm spherical cutter to chop out the scones. Switch them to a baking paper lined baking tray.
4. Brush the tops of the scones with the extra egg yolk. Bake for 10-12 minutes or till effectively risen and golden.
Make the elderflower and lemon curd:
1. Warmth the juice, cordial and zest in a non-stick pan to a simmer.
2. Whisk the sugar with the egg yolks. Slowly pour within the sizzling juice while whisking.
3. Return this combination to the pan and consistently stir over low warmth till thickened, as much as 5-10 minutes, ensuring it would not boil. You may also verify the temperature to see whether it is prepared; it ought to register 75ºC – 82ºC.
4. Take the curd off the warmth, enable to chill for a few minutes, then whisk within the butter a few cubes at a time while nonetheless heat. Cowl and chill within the fridge.
Make the elderflower cream:
Whisk collectively the double cream, icing sugar and cordial till mushy peaks.
Break up the scones and fill with a beneficiant serving of the cooled curd and elderflower cream.
Lemon and Elderflower Meringue Pie Float
Makes: 4 servings
Candied Lemon Peel:
1 lemon, zest
50g caster sugar (plus further 10g)
1 massive egg whites
80g caster sugar
1 tbsp water
4 lemons, juiced
Reserved syrup from lemon peel
120ml bottlegreen elderflower cordial, chilled
500ml tonic or soda water, chilled
4 scoops lemon sorbet
Make the Candied Lemon Peel:
1. Preheat the oven to 100ºC.
2. Use a velocity peeler to peel massive strips of lemon zest from the lemon.
3. Mix the water and sugar over excessive warmth stirring till the sugar has dissolved. Add within the lemon peel and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Drain the lemon peel, reserve the syrup and chill for later.
5. Lay the drained peel on a baking tray and bake within the low oven for about 30-40 minutes to dry out.
6. Take away the peel from the oven and roll within the further caster sugar.
Make the Italian Meringue:
1. Stir collectively the sugar and water over excessive warmth till the sugar has dissolved and it begins to boil. Take away the spoon from the pan and depart boiling over excessive warmth.
2. In the meantime, whisk the egg whites in a stand mixer or with an electrical hand whisk till a cloud like texture.
3. As soon as the sugar syrup registers 121ºC on a sugar thermometer, take away it from the warmth and slowly pour into the egg whites whisking at excessive velocity.
4. Proceed whisking till the combination is cool, agency and shiny. Fill a piping bag with the meringue.
Make the Elderflower Lemonade:
Pressure the lemon juice right into a jug. Stir by means of the syrup and cordial.
1. Add one scoop of lemon sorbet into every glass. Fill every glass about ¼ of the way in which up with the elderflower lemonade. High off every glass with tonic water.
2. Pipe the Italian meringue over the sorbet and brown with a blow torch. Lastly, high the meringue with a chunk of the candied lemon peel.